[geeks] The illusion of Windows 7

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Nov 1 05:00:45 CST 2009

On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 10:46:23AM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
> They actually all nicked it from OS X which has used that system since
> the Public Betas to authorise system changes, AFAIK. It's certainly been
> in every 10.x release version. Don't recall if it was ever in 1.x or
> OpenStep, I suspect not.

That may be where it came from, but I my experience with OSX is that I
enter my password about 3-4 times a week, if that. Most often I have to
enter it because I have a few shell scripts that call sudo and I don't
want it to be set to no password out of paranoia.

They are not things that the average user would do, so I can't say they really
count. One is because I have a hackintosh, I have to do something odd (as root)
to switch between the speakers and headphone jack. The other is because I have
2 ISPs connected to two different routers, and I like to switch the routing
for some sites between them.

Before I had the hackintosh and just used a regular Mac, or the two lines, I
only entered it if software update, which ran once a week, found an update.

Geoff.