[geeks] Legal Corporate Music Servers

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Thu May 28 16:04:53 CDT 2009

> On the original topic, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy everyone an MP3 player
> and a gift certificate to a music service? If you wrap a contest around it,
> the people that did not get them would not be able to complain.

Good idea, but then we'd simply be back to where we are now. :)

The biggest problems are a combination of wasted hard drive/server
space, along with the potential security risk of having the MP3 players.
  Unfortunately some of the Mp3s on the server are legal and business
critical so we can't just do a global delete.

On the same token, iTunes for instance will happily connect an iPod even
though it was specifically shut off in the admin tools, and the USB mass
storage driver is physically deleted off the machine.

For my users who don't have access to iTunes, they use streaming players
such as Pandora (or even more bandwidth intensive versions such as the
BBC stuff.) One or two streams are fine, but we can get 200+ at a time.

--
Rick Hamell
http://RickHamell.com

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of hamellr.vcf]