[geeks] IBM 3151 terminal emulator for the iPhone?

Chad McAuley chizad at gmail.com
Thu May 28 12:51:16 CDT 2009

Jonathan J. M. Katz wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 1:20 PM, Chad McAuley <chizad at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Just got a request from one of my users asking if it'd be possible to get
>> an iPhone set up to access our business system, which requires an IBM 3151
>> terminal emulator (including function keys). My gut feeling and some quick
>> STFWing leads me to believe the software I'm looking for doesn't exist, but
>> I figure if anyone would know it'd probably be you guys.  Does such a beast
>> exist in a form that doesn't involve jailbreaking or anything of that sort?
>>

> I'm greatly amused by this request. More than I should be.

I was greatly amused as well when I saw it, especially since oddball
requests like this are somewhat par for the course with this user.
However, he also happens to have VP in his title, so I couldn't really
just do a quick google search and then say "ain't gonna happen." Plus,
it only takes a few extra minutes to ask here and a few other places, so
worst that can happen is I find out I was right in thinking such
software doesn't exist, pass that on to the user, and move on.