[geeks] Solaris 10 max connections limit?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed May 27 16:38:58 CDT 2009

I'm installing NUT (Network UPS Tools) on my Solaris 10 x86 box, and
upsd is dying because when it requests FD_SETSIZE (1024) maximum
connections by default, it's apparently getting back only 256 allowed.

Not that I'm ever going to need even 256 ... I actually just patched the
code to request only 128, and even that is overkill in my environment.
But does anyone know why Solaris 10 would limit a privileged application
started by root to 256 connections?  Is it a configurable limit?

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.