[geeks] Quieting a Netra T1 AC200?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed May 27 09:09:10 CDT 2009

Bill Blum wrote:
> Anyone have any suggestions on obtaining quieter replacement fans for a
> Netra T1 AC200?
> (Brand name suggestions would be welcome as well. )
>
> I realize it's not going to be totally silent, but the current case fans
> have a distinct warbling high note that stands out even in a server room
> environment.

What size fans?  I've managed to massively quiet down some of my servers
by measuring fan sizes and just looking for aftermarket replacements.
Sometimes the original fans are loud because they're failing.  I had a
1U case that had six 40mm fans, two of which were Sunon 40x28mm units
rated at 36.5dBA and actually emitting more like 45-48dBA each ...  the
thing was loud from the other side of a double-glazed glass door.  Since
there was one open fan slot, I replaced the two 40x28mm fans with three
40x20mm units with a little less airflow each, but rated 23dBA ... now
you can hardly hear the machine standing next to it.  Cost: $6.50 per
fan, $32 shipped for the lot, for a noise reduction of over 20dBA.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.