[geeks] GSM coverage in southeastern PA.

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue May 26 04:11:51 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 01:32:20AM -0700, Nadine Miller wrote:
> As it's a quad band phone, you might call your carrier and ask if they
> will unlock it for overseas travel.  In the US both T-Mobile and AT&T
> will provide the unlock codes if you contact customer service and tell
> them you want to use the phone outside the US.  Worth a shot; worst they
> can tell you is "no".

Thanks, they want 150 NIS ($30) to unlock a phone. If you want to use it
overseas you can roam. Their roaming rates are not bad compared to some
I have seen, but I'd rather not.

> Currently AT&T has prepaid "unlimited" calling with their Go phones.
> You pay $3 per day (plus taxes) vs. per minute charges.  You can get a
> refurb Nokia 2610 for $9.99 (refurb) or $29.99 new; not clear if that
> comes with any pre-paid time.  T-Mo has $6.99 SIM kit (put in any
> unlocked GSM phone), or two $20 phone (Nokia) options that include $25
> prepaid cards.  All of these are web prices, so probably a little higher
> if you go to the AT&T/T-Mo store.

The unlocked phones I have are an old Ericsson CH388 which is 1900mHz,
and an Amoi phone, which an Internet search said was 900/1800/1900, but
the Hebrew docs that came with it said it was 900/1800. I don't know if
it is a dual band model sold only for Israel, or tri band, but I have no
way to test it, except to send it to the US. The Amoi phone belongs to
my teenage son, who is loath to give it up, and cost 250 NIS (about
$50).

Either way, isn't AT&T GSM 850? Is T-Mo 1900?

Thanks,

Geoff.