[geeks] Nifty NAS board (Atom-based FlexATX from Supermicro)

Nadine Miller velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon May 25 17:29:21 CDT 2009

On May 21, 2009, at 11:09 AM, Mark Benson wrote:

> On 21 May 2009, at 15:13, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> What about using a USB flash key for cache? The MB has a USB socket.
>
> No idea, I guess if it'll treat it as a disk device in Solaris then
> it'll work. Would be an interesting experiment. Actually I know you
> can use USB sticks with ZFS and Sol10 because I saw some guy on a
> ZFS promo video in German do a stunt where he used 12 USB sticks as
> a storage array using ZFS.
>
> I'd never considered that. I think you'd have to change the USB
> stick annually mind you to avoid any issues. I think SSD drives are
> probably a bit more tolerant and have longer lifespan than your
> average 14.99 USB stick :)

I'd think a fast, small USB key would work.  Something in the <=1GB
range, because those are super cheap.  Or perhaps SD or CF, since
faster, photography oriented flash has been around for a long time,
whereas faster rated USB keys are just now getting any marketing due
to the increasing size of USB flash drives.

That said, you can't buy a new SSD less than 8GB in size from any of
the "usual" places I would buy on-line.  So, looking for a new pull or
closeouts on E-Bay of <8GB SSD would probably be a pretty cheap option
these days.  I saw Dell (proprietary connector, I believe) 4GB SSDs
going for about $40.

=Nadine=