[geeks] Cheap wireless APs

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 12:35:05 CDT 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:25:01AM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> I believe the point of the OP was to simplify, your suggestion is
>> easily as complex as the situation the OP wanted to avoid, getting a
>> router/AP, then working through the settings to disable/avoid the
>> DHCP/router/etc. functionality.
>>
>> A wireless AP can use trivial amounts of power, machines that are
>> typically "surplus" aren't also low-power.
>>
>> I use an old Motorola AP (WA840G) (it's 5 years old):
>>
>> $14.95 + (.95 on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTOROLA-WA840G-WIRELESS-ACCESS-POINT-802.11g_W0QQitemZ17
0329630516QQcmdZViewItem

>> Motorola product datasheet:

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/WA840g/downloads/WA840G_Data
_Sheet.pdf

>> This AP uses minimal power, .5 Amps at 12V DC, much less than any
>> "conventional" PC I am aware of.
>
> Dang, I was too hasty.  After waiting a few hours, I ordered the
> TRENDnet unit, and here all the good information comes the next day.
>
> Oh well.

There's nothing special about the above Wireless AP, the only reason I
have it is because it was on sale at CompUSA five years ago...

Don't get me wrong, I'd buy another one for $20, but I'm sure lots of
good devices are oout there - as I said before, I've had good luck
with TrendNet as a brand - your AP should be fine.

Lionel

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com