[geeks] Cheap wireless APs

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Fri May 22 09:05:57 CDT 2009

Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
> why don't you just put a wireless card in the box that's going to run
> Open/NetBSD or Linux & set it to run in hostap mode, invest the money
> you saved from not buying a AP into a better antenna.
> On OpenBSD the Ralink chipset cards are well supported.

That'd be a thought in my case, except my firewall box is in a
full-cabinet rack out in the deckhouse.

Unless, of course, I could get a wireless card with a remote antenna (or
several)....

As it is, my WRT54G, once reflashed with DD-WRT, is doing everything I
need it to do.  But it should have been able to do it straight out of
the box.  Would it have been so hard to have a configuration option in
the factory firmware to run in AP-only mode?

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.