[geeks] Cheap wireless APs

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Thu May 21 18:04:40 CDT 2009

On 22/05/2009, at 01:23, Mike Hebel wrote:

>> You need a big house to need more than one access point...
>
> I beg to differ with this one.

I have to agree.  We're in a rebar-reinforced poured concrete
apartment, and the cable modem and WRT54G are in my office on the
first floor.  The office is the sealed room/shelter required in all
new Israeli construction, and the crisscrossed rebar makes it almost,
but not quite, a Faraday cage.  I get close to no signal in the next
room.

In order to get full coverage all over our apartment, I have the
router in the office/shelter, another in the living room, and one more
upstairs so there's signal in the bedrooms too.

That's three access points to cover 250 sqm because of the construction.

--sambo