[geeks] Cheap wireless APs

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu May 21 16:57:40 CDT 2009

On May 21, 2009, at 15:30 , Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Very small market for consumer access points, I have an old Motorola
> 802.11b/g AP that runs great, but has been off the market for years...

If it were market size, seems they would just sell the exact same unit
with a production cripple/flag change to make it one or the other,
removing most worries about volume with any competent manufacturer.

It's 2009: this is a solved problem.

Therefore, it seems to me it must be one of those things they do
because they can, not because of some technical reason.

What is interesting is that small "router" boards are starting to get
so cheap you have to start considering them even for really small
projects.  A little more work, but one day someone is going to say
"Ah... business opportunity..."

I keep hoping that someone besides Linksys and friends will get into
the market and make something that doesn't suck and whose feature set
and support make sense.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com