[geeks] I just got ripped off, and I'm angry!

Jonathan J. M. Katz jon at jonworld.com
Tue May 19 10:22:36 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 11:16 AM, <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:

> I was charged $285 CAD for riding the bixi bicycle 2km, about 10 minutes.
>> Waiting on a response from their support team.
>>

> My guess is that using a non Canadian credit card required you to pay a
> deposit
> for the bicycle.

I heard back from them; you are charged that authorization ($285 CAD) each
tmie you swipe your credit card for a new 24 hr. period. In 72 hrs. or less
the difference between the usage charges ($5/day) and the $285 is refunded.
US credit card, Canadian, or whomever, the rules are the same.

The concept is neat. There are 3000 stations throughout the downtown area.
They encourage "short rides" when possible, in an effort to make the city
more green. I just wasn't expecting the $285 auth charge. There is a station
right outside my hotel and another a half block from my office, so it makes
a lot of sense.