[geeks] Security Systems

James Fogg james at jdfogg.com
Mon May 18 08:11:33 CDT 2009

> I find myself in need of a basic video surveillance system. Probably two
> or three cameras, maybe motion activated recording. Hooking into my Mac
> would be nice. I need one at the front door, and one covering the back
> yard.

I prefer cameras that aren't connected to PC's but have their own
webserver built in. One of the best bangs for the bucks is the Linksys
cameras. There is a Linksys with PTZ if you'd like to aim the camera from
your PC.

"Webcams" require a PC to be kept running and the routing of a USB cable
which was never meant to penetrate walls or go long distances.

Traditional CCTV cameras require a single TV set and a video switcher with
the option of a VCR. I prefer webserver cameras since I can monitor them
from anywhere I have a PC, including anywhere on the Internet. You can
also save the "video" to your hard disk.

--
James -