[geeks] Netgear 24 port Gigabit switch on sale (metal box switch)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 12:11:57 CDT 2009

On May 16, 2009, at 12:06 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
wrote:

> Lionel Peterson wrote:
>
>> Thought others might be interested, and I'm also wondering if there
>> are any down-sides I'm missing with this switch - of course, if
>> someone has a better deal I'm all ears.
>>

> Unmanaged, so no VLANs, correct?  Also the buffer is 2MB in size, is
> that enough?

VLAN not an issue, this is for home, and I have a small 8 port GigE to
handle iSCSI/NAS traffic.

I'm confused about 2 Meg buffer, newegg says it, but the specs show
512KB, which, now that I type this I realize IS 2Mb... What is the
buffer used for? I doubt I'd ever have more than 1/3 of the ports
active (in any meaningful way).

It supports 16K jumbo frames, newegg idiot claims aside, which seems
good, and it's got this "green thing" going for it as well...

Thanks,

Lionel