[geeks] Netgear 24 port Gigabit switch on sale (metal box switch)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 10:04:55 CDT 2009

Hello all,

I was about to pull the trigger on this, but I thought I'd bounce the
question here first: Newegg has the Netgear JGS524 24 port Gigabit
switch for $169 after $40 rebate and includes free shipping.

As I recall, the collected wisdom here is that these are reasonable
switches, the Netgear "metal box" switches, as compared with the
consumer-oriented white-plastic switches. My brief research shows that
this switch meets my needs:

 - Lots of Gigabit ports (in my house 24 is a lot)
 - Supports Jumbo Packets
 - Reasonably priced (just over $7/port)
 - Reliable
 - Quiet
 - Rackmountable

I'm thinking of getting one to replace my current Netgear 24 port
10/100 switch which has held up well for home use (even survivng a
backyard lightning strike that took out one port but spared the rest
of the switch).

The Netgear Product Page is here:
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Switches/UnmanagedSwitches/JGS524.aspx

The listing is here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122058

The rebate is good for two switches maximum, the rebate comes in the
form of a debit card, not a check.

Thought others might be interested, and I'm also wondering if there
are any down-sides I'm missing with this switch - of course, if
someone has a better deal I'm all ears.

I'd love to string some professional switches around the house, but
noise is a big issue (I've inherited some Cisco 10/100 switches from
$WORK, but they are too noisy for my applications - they are nice
units though, most have POE ports). I think something like these
switches are what's called for - Prosumer grade.

Lionel

--
Lionel Peterson
lionel4287 at gmail.com