[geeks] KVM for Sun Sparc Servers with USB keyboards

John Francini francini at mac.com
Fri May 15 15:47:24 CDT 2009

On 15 May 2009, at 16:15, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
>> The root cause of many of these problems is that people don't know
>> how
>> to drive their cars.  There are quite a few more AWD cars on the road
>> today.  When the weather gets bad, there are quite a few AWD cars in
>> ditches.  Why?  A lot of the people driving them learned on FWD cars,
>> and bought AWD cars assuming that AWD > FWD.  AWD *will* help you
>> stay
>> on the road, *iff* you know how to drive them.
>>
>> If you're beginning to understeer on a FWD car, you lift off the
>> gas and
>> the front will bite in.  With an AWD car, you have to balance the
>> throttle and steer into the slide.  If you lift off completely and
>> suddenly, you'll oversteer and spin.
>>
>> I think driving skill was more widespread when people had been
>> forced to
>> learn how to drive in the snow in a RWD car...
>
> Personally, I would choose RWD over FWD every time.  I hate driving
> FWD
> cars.  They just don't drive right.
>
> Having now owned an AWD drive car, I think any time I lived anywhere
> with a real winter, I'd just as unhesitatingly take AWD over RWD.

I have an AWD car (Toyota Sienna), and find that even with AWD I also
need real snow tires to deal with New Hampshire winters. The present
all-seasons I'm running -- Michelin Hyrdro-Edge -- work reasonably
well, but not as good in snow as I would like. And since I live on top
of a hill, I'm always concerned about being able to get down the hill
*and* back up it safely.

So I've got a set of Arctic-Alpins for the winter, which are
absolutely marvelous.