[geeks] the biggest, baddest workstation...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri May 15 06:15:57 CDT 2009

I've not had problems (but I am a home user of these board, we used
them at $WORK-1, but I can't say I stuck around to hear about
long-term reliability).

Their Tech Support is sane, responsive, and helpful - that is worth
something to me.

As noted elsewhere, I got a BIOS update on a five year-old MB that was
just released in March - that is worth something to me as well.

As for their "high-end" boards, as I said, in the realm of what is
possible, they are pretty tame. I believe dual-socket is as high as
they go, but as a stand alone component there aren't that many
companies that exceed dual socket MBs in the retail market (AFAIK).

I look at Supermico and Intel MBs the same way - they may not have all
the bells and whistles, they may not be "cheap", but by and large they
are reliable and stable.

Of course, YMMV, but given a choice I use Intel in cost-sensitive
builds, Supermicro in long-term investment builds (ideally with their
chassis and MBs together), but I'm always open to other boards.

Lionel