[geeks] KVM for Sun Sparc Servers with USB keyboards

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu May 14 16:39:55 CDT 2009

On Thu, 14 May 2009, nate at portents.com wrote:

>> (2) more margin for error in certain types of collisions.
>
> And more potential for asymetrically damaging other vehicles in
> collisions.

I drive a full-sized truck, and the last time State Farm redid the way
they rate vehicles, SUV and truck premiums increased specifically for this
reason (at least, according to the agent, and the explanation seems
reasonable enough).

> It'd be one thing if SUVs had their own roads where only other SUVs and
> trucks drove, but they don't, they share the roads with much smaller
> vehicles.

SUVs and trucks aren't inherently dangerous in the hands of a motorist who
pays attention.  Realize that you're driving nearly three tons of metal
down the road at 70 miles/hour and adjust your following distance to
account for the amount of energy those front brakes have to dissipate.

>> (3) 4-wheel drive for bad road conditions.
>
> I've seen plenty of SUV drivers believe their 4-wheel drive meant they
> could brake as well as they could accelerate in bad road conditions and
> I've witnessed flips, skids, and spins right off highways by many SUV
> owners.  More mass is not always a good thing.

No, if anything, the higher center-of-mass and (especially in the case of
a truck) weight distribution means you can't go nearly as fast as a little
low-to-the-ground all-wheel-drive Subaru, BMW, or Volvo.  If I lived
somewhere that left me concerned with more than hydroplaning, my truck
would become a second vehicle during the winter.

> Seems like a Mercedes-Benz/Dodge Sprinter would be a better choice than
> an SUV in that scenario.

Except that they tend not to fit in parking garages.

> As people have already said, there are good reasons for a very small
> number of the overall SUV ownerbase to actually own an SUV.

Mine comes in quite handy out at the farm and for hauling computers
around in approximately half-ton quantities[0].

[0] ObGeeks: So, no, not very many IBM systems.
--
Jonathan Patschke ( "They don't have the right to read a book out loud."
Elgin, TX         (                  --Paul Aiken