[geeks] the biggest, baddest workstation...

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu May 14 06:29:19 CDT 2009

On May 13, 2009, at 7:16 PM, "Jonathan J. M. Katz" <jon at jonworld.com>
wrote:

> What's the biggest, baddest workstation one can build these days?
>
> I figure 16 cores (4x4) in some shade of Intel Xeon or AMD Opteron.
> Who sells 'em?
>
> Just curious...

I'd second SuperMicro, they sell workstation SuperServers with case,
PS, and MB installed, but on an absolute scale of what's possible,
they are likely pretty tame.

On a side note, I just downloaded a new BIOS for an older SuperMicro
MB, a PDSGE, to handle 8 Gigs of RAM - the update was published in
March of this year, but the MB is at least 5 years old. I was
plesantly suprised they had a BIOS update so long after the board went
off-market...

Truth be told, I think the BIOS has been around for a while, but in
beta, until March of this year.

I just breathed new life into a dual-core Intel 930-based system with
8 Giga of RAM ($100), and 4x hot-swap trays with a quiet (to me) power
supply/cooling system...

It's really quite nice, and 8 gigs of RAM can make up for it being an
older CPU family.

Lionel