[geeks] crash tests

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Wed May 13 12:39:03 CDT 2009

Dan Sikorski wrote:
>> I'm positive that the transmission is a big enough change, not sure
>> about brakes and axels, but it may be possible. In the past, some
>> foreign car makers only imported the automatic transmission version of
>> a car the first year, though the stick was available in Europe... I'm
>> thinking this was the gas with the BMW Z4, and maybe the Mazda Miata,
>> but I could be way off...
>
> Maybe Miata, but not Z4.  2003 was the first year for the Z4, and it was
> definitely available with three transmission options:  manual, automatic
> or SMG.  The 2003-2008 Z4's were made in South Carolina, production
> moved to Germany for the 2009 model year.

I've seen manual Miatas on dealer lots.

However, my Audi A8 Quattro is available in Europe with a stick, and
only with automatic here.  A popular change to A8s here is, when a
transmission goes bad, instead of replacing it with another automatic,
get the manual parts from a supplier in Europe.

Peace...  Sridhar