[geeks] KVM for Sun Sparc Servers with USB keyboards

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed May 13 08:34:59 CDT 2009

Phil Stracchino wrote:
> And speaking of shiny, there's the bloody badge-engineering crap.  Build
> a car.  Sell it as a Chevrolet.  Change some trim, install plushier
> seats and carpets, sell the mechanically-exactly-the-same car as a
> Buick.  Add half an acre of chrome and a little extra soundproofing, and
> sell it as a Cadillac for twice the price of the Chevy.  Who's kidding
> who here?

Personally, I'm willing to pay a little extra to have an interior made
of decent materials instead of three different colors of injection
molded plastic.  That said, i have never seen a Buick that I like, and
there are very few Cadillacs that i think are worth the money.  There
are worse examples of badge engineering in the Saturn Sky/Pontiac
Solstice, or GMC Yukon/Chevrolet Suburban.  Same car, same types of
materials, just different styling.  The trucks and SUV's are so bad that
you really can't tell the difference until you look at the badge.
There's more different between say a 2007 and a 2008 Yukon than there is
between a Yukon and a Suburban of the same year.

    -Dan Sikorski