[geeks] Pens and ink

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Mon May 11 14:52:41 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 02:23:19PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

>I like the Platinum Preppy pens a lot more than the Pilot V/Varsity pens:
>
>http://www.jetpens.com/index.php/cPath/214_371

The V pen was pretty good. If the preppy is better, I would think it would
be an amazing pen. I'll have to see if I can get some when a relative goes
to the US.

>The blue-black is just awesome.
>
>And I like my Lamy Safaris and Al-Star better than the dispoasbles:

Techincaly, the Preppy is not a disposable. JetPens sells refills on the
same page.

>http://weblog.mrbill.net/archives/2009/05/04/lamy-fountain-pens/

I have two safari's and I don't like them as much as the preppy, there
is no accounting for taste. :-) I also have matching safri felt tip/roller\
ball (your choice of refills).

>I need to go this week and pick up a couple of converters (so I can fill
>the pens from a bottle of ink) and use some of this Noodler's Black I have
>here.
>
>My next purchase will be some Noodler's Aircorp Blue-Black:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/Noodlers-AIRCORP-BLUE-BLACK-Fountain-Pen/dp/B000WR4NM2
>
>and some Whitelines paper:
>
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Whitelines
>
>What I really want is a Parker 51 fountain pen.

I have the late (1990's version) of their sterling model and my son has one
he got from his grandfather. Mine was made under contract by Waterman
(and is no slouch as a writing instrument) his was really made by Parker.

For his wedding, I polished it back to (almost) perfection, without damaging
the black inlay.

Geoff.