[geeks] A rose by any other name.... Windows 64-bit insanity

Jonathan J. M. Katz jon at jonworld.com
Mon May 11 12:55:20 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Dan Sikorski <me at dansikorski.com>
wrote:<nate at portents.com>

> Oh, ok, yeah.  They probably removed the ability to transfer programs since
> migrating an OEM copy of Office from one PC to another would be violating
> their own license agreement.

And yeah, Microsoft can't name things worth sh*t.

> I seem to recall this being called FAST in XP.  If at first you don't
> succeed at naming, try, try again.  (Windows genuine advantage to Windows
> activation technology, Windows CE to Windows Mobile, NT to 2000 to XP to
> Vista to 7, why have one naming scheme when we can have five?)

Look at Sun and their software. Heh.
Netscape Enterprise Suite -> iPlanet -> SunOne -> Sun Java Enterprise System
-> Glassfish

Because the cost of marketing is negligable. Bleh. Let's confuse customers
and make marketing look important. We're so strong we can afford to
re-brand. Rah! Rah!

[ yes, there is some sarcasm there ]

-Jon