[geeks] Windows 64-bit insanity

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Mon May 11 12:50:10 CDT 2009

nate at portents.com wrote:
>> It's here on my copy of Vista Enterprise x64.
>>

> I think you're confusing Windows Easy Transfer (which does exist and is
> included with both Windows Vista and 7) with Windows Easy Transfer
> Companion.  Windows Easy Transfer does not transfer installed
> applications, whereas the Companion does (or did, since you can't get it
> anymore).

Oh, ok, yeah.  They probably removed the ability to transfer programs
since migrating an OEM copy of Office from one PC to another would be
violating their own license agreement.
> And yeah, Microsoft can't name things worth sh*t.

I seem to recall this being called FAST in XP.  If at first you don't
succeed at naming, try, try again.  (Windows genuine advantage to
Windows activation technology, Windows CE to Windows Mobile, NT to 2000
to XP to Vista to 7, why have one naming scheme when we can have five?)

    -Dan Sikorski