[geeks] Gigabyte MB question

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Mon May 11 07:59:38 CDT 2009

Lionel Peterson wrote:
> The questions - Has anyone ever used this MB before? Anyone have any
> feedback on Gigabyte MBs? and finally, any suggestions on a reasonable
> cooling solutions for this CPU/MB combo? (I would likely run
> everything stock clock, so no OC needs for exceptional cooling.)
> Thanks,

I believe you should be able to use the same cooler on that as I'm using
in my Athlon64 box, which is a Thermaltake Silent Max K8.  Assuming they
still make it, it's not an insane Xtr3m3 Gam0r bling cooler, it's
perfectly adequately effective (yeah, you might gain a degree or two by
going to a two-kilogram $150 Zalman, but so what?), and it really is
virtually silent.

Does that board have GigaByte's dual-BIOS feature?  If so, heed my
lesson:  DO NOT use the secondary BIOS as a backup BIOS.  Use it as a
TESTBED BIOS.  Make new BIOS updates to the secondary BIOS FIRST, make
sure the update is good and the machine is stable on the new BIOS, and
*only then* use the BIOS utility to copy the secondary BIOS to the primary.

This way, you always have a good primary BIOS image.  But if the primary
becomes badly corrupted, it will NOT necessarily "fail over" to the
secondary.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.