[geeks] Windows 64-bit insanity

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Sat May 9 14:41:30 CDT 2009

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 12:55:11PM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:
> I suppose considering that Microsoft is only supporting in-place upgrades
> from Vista (not XP) to Windows 7, this shouldn't entirely surprise me, but
> the degree to which XP x64 users are being left high-and-dry is somewhat
> astounding, and really, for no good technical reason I can think of other
> than someone just didn't want to bother.

Interesting that upgrades from XP x64 aren't supported. I'm guessing the
market for XP x64 has been so small that Microsoft has not seen upgrading
as cost-effective to support? Even though XP x64 is fundamentally Windows
2003 by another name, I doubt that there's any technical reason for an
upgrade to be any more complex than moving from, say, 32-bit XP to 32-bit
Vista?

-mj
--
 Michael-John Turner