[geeks] Virtual Machine Hosting

Aaron Finley aaronfinley at gmail.com
Thu May 7 11:51:42 CDT 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Speaking of big iron, when did RAID become Redundant Array of INDEPENDENT
> Disks? I saw this on a Dell tech certification test a while ago, and it's
> been bugging me for a while. Didn't it start out as Inexpensive, in
> comparison to mainframe DASD, the place where RAID started?

According to Wikipedia,

^ "Originally referred to as Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks, the
concept of RAID was first developed in the late 1980s by Patterson,
Gibson, and Katz of the University of California at Berkeley. (The
RAID Advisory Board has since substituted the term Inexpensive with
Independent.)" Storage Area Network Fundamentals; Meeta Gupta; Cisco
Press; ISBN-13: 978-1-58705-065-7; Appendix A.

"More recently, marketers representing industry RAID manufacturers
have revised the term to Redundant Array of Independent Disks, a
convenient means of avoiding the expectation of low cost associated
with 'inexpensive'."