[geeks] KVM for Sun Sparc Servers with USB keyboards

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 07:09:42 CDT 2009

On May 5, 2009, at 6:45 PM, adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker)
wrote:

> " From: Mike Meredith <very at zonky.org>
> "
> " []
> "
> " Some time back there was a report indicating that many CEOs are in
> fact
> " "successful" sociopaths. Perhaps we need psychometric testing of
> CEOs
> " (and others in a position of power) to exclude such people ?
>
> i'm on board, if we can find an incorruptible way to do it...  because
> if there's a way to subvert it, the successful sociopaths will find
> it.
>
> along that line, i once heard of a study that, analyzing public
> documents and utterances, concluded that politicians on average scored
> well in only 2 of the 5 major personality dimensions - and george
> bush, only 1.  they are not well rounded, well balanced personalities.
>
> alas, i've forgotten what the dimensions are.

Regretably, this makes it very hard to either accept or refute your
assertion, but that didn't stop you from making it in a public forum.

> i have long thought of the campaign process as selecting for
> responsibility-challenged power addicts.  and if part of the game is
> hiding the fact that that's what you are, they will - even from
> themselves, if that's the most effective strategy.  at the extreme,
> they love being powerful so much that they will do and say anything to
> and for anyone to get the job.  doing the job [as it should be done]
> is not on their radar.  they will work the job in such a way as to
> maximize their reelection.  this doesn't necessarily maximize benefits
> to their constituents, let alone the polity as a whole.
>
> it is hard to campaign against such a politician because they will do
> and say anything to get the job, and if you have any shred of ethics
> you will not.

I've run for local school board, and while your terms may be a bit
strong, based on my experience, self-interest trumps logic, reason,
and skepticism more often then it should.

> i'm sure that if there's any truth to this, it works to a similar
> degree in bureaucracies everywhere, corporate and public.
>
> " I once suggested in relation to banks that we don't need more
> " regulation. We really need more supervision - someone who sits on
> the
> " board to say "hell no" when they decide on something dangerously
> dumb.
>
> amen!  and it could stand for industry and government generally - but
> who guards the guardians?

An informed and engaged citizenry...

That's what our founding fathers envisioned, but we've fallen a bit
short on both, I'm afraid...

Lionel