[geeks] KVM for Sun Sparc Servers with USB keyboards

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Mon May 4 16:31:09 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 10:03 AM, hike <mh1272 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 3:20 AM, Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>wrote:

>> [...]
>> > all the sparcs on the kvms are servers and workstation (sun blade
>> > 100) that use USB keyboards and mice.
>> E3k, E220R and E280R with USB?
>> AFAIK these machines use the proprietary Sun keyboard and mouse
>> interface.
> someone asked what type of servers and i listed them (as requested).
> we need kvms for our usb sparc servers.

Not sure if you understand, these machines are not USB keyboard, they
are Sun mini din keyboards. Only the Blade 100, v240 and v440 will
recognise USB keyboards. The E3000 doesn't even have any USB ports. It
has a mini din on the clock board for a sun keyboard. Video is not vga
either. So whatever KVM you buy, get one that is modular, that can use
a harness specific to each server. Pretty much all the modern modular
units fit the bill. Plus they provide KVM over IP as an option.