[geeks] Home Made STB/HTPC

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Mon May 4 13:50:34 CDT 2009

I just got a 67" TV.  I'm interested in playing stored video on it.

The machine needs to be fast enough to decode 1080p video compressed
with a variety of algorithms, with the most processor-intensive probably
being H.264.  It needs to talk to my TV at its native resolution of
1920x1080.  Being able to output unaltered Dolby Digital and DTS sound
over a digital pipe to my receiver would be a huge plus.

It doesn't need much storage, since I'll be streaming the video from a
file server.  A single PCI slot would be convenient for various reasons
I don't need to go into.  Low power consumption would be nice.  Silence
is golden.

Anyone have any pointers or suggestions for me?  I'm more looking for
hardware tips.  I'm reasonably familiar with the software.  Thanks.

Peace...  Sridhar