[geeks] Disk ugprade in Mac Mini - worth it?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Mar 29 01:51:03 CDT 2009

I was dismayed to discover that the internal disk in my Mac Mini (2007
Intel Core2Duo) isn't any faster than the FW400 external interface:

http://www.mrbill.net/disktest.html

Internal drive is a 160G 5400rpm with 8M cache.

So, I'm thinking of dropping one of these babies in:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136279

7200rpm, 16M cache, WD's "Black" performance line.

Think the effort will be worth it?  I'm definitely keeping this system for
at least another year (can't afford to upgrade to the latest Mini, and
really dont *need* to right now)...

Anybody gone from a 5400rpm drive to a 7200 in a MacBook?  Was it worth it?

I'll probably take the 160G disk out of the Mini and put that in my CoreDuo
MacBook (which has a 60G drive right now).

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas