[geeks] latest system monitoring for Solaris 10 x86

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Mar 20 15:01:00 CDT 2009

On Mar 20, 2009, at 15:41 , Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> I didn't intend to start providing technical support, just sharing
>> experience.
>
> The Dell T105 uses an unusual/unpopular nvidia chipset, IIRC, Ubuntu
> had a problem with it as recently as 8.04

I have seen it called "nVidia Pro 2000", but it has another part
number on it too.  It seems to show up in several different servers,
so I guess it is mostly geared for that market or something.

Works fine for most UNIX, just Windows mostly has issues.

Most Linux Live CDs work perfectly, GUI and all.  So does Solaris.

Ironically, this time around it is Windows that has trouble... :)

>> As far as I can tell, you can't use the F6 method on a lot of
>> modern systems.  They won't even boot far enough to get to that
>> unless they boot up emulating IDE with their SATA drives.  A lot of
>> systems now have dropped emulation from what I see in their BIOS.
>
> Vista/Server 2008 allows you to load drivers through the GUI where
> you select system disk, you click advanced, IIRC.

Vista probably also has much newer drivers and updated boot support too.

Is there a way to run things like firmware updates from the Vista
install CDs?

Might be a path worth investigating for when you really do have to use
Windows.

Of course, if I get time I'll try to make a slipstreamed Windows XP
boot system, but there are higher priorities now that my machine is
properly updated.