[geeks] Dell T105 Server, CPU and RAM upgrade

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Mar 19 23:21:11 CDT 2009

On Mar 19, 2009, at 16:07 , Lionel Peterson wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 2:39 PM, Sevan / Venture37 <venture37 at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>> Shannon Hendrix wrote:
>>>
>>> No, I'm not.
>>>
>>> It's provided as a Windows executable and I've not yet figured out
>>> how to
>>> run it and install it.
>>
>> there is a linux version aswell.
>
>> From the Dell Website - instructions for the Linux version:
>
> Custom Instructions for PET105-BIOS_LX_01.03.02.BIN:
>
> Download
> 1. Click the "Download Now" link to download the file.
> 2. When the File Download window appears, click "Save" to save the
> file to your hard drive.

This one worked.

I booted a Knoppix CD and ran the program there.

It took seconds to update the BIOS.

NOTES:

The BIOS has not changed visibly at all.  Kinda was hoping to have
some goodies in there.

Solaris still bitches that it needs a CPU patch in BIOS.  However,
after reading quite a few posts on the subject, I believe Solaris
might be in error.

Maybe when I upgrade to 11/2008 this will go away.

Also, AMD says the circumstances required to lock up the Northbridge
in the CPU are rather particular, involving very specific
circumstances and internal timing.

Something interesting is that AMD says specifically what offsets to
modify in CMOS, and I wonder if you could not do that with some BIOS
tools yourself.

No, I'm not going to try... :)