[geeks] ADMIN NOTE: Server upgrade soon

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Mar 18 19:08:06 CDT 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 15:47 , Jonathan J. M. Katz wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Look for CD-ROM towers, either SCSI or empty meant for duplicator
>> systems.
>> I think that a little 4 bay case would be under $100 sans PSU, a
>> little
>> more with a PSU.
>>

> Gang, why not just reuse a Sun 911. Gut the scsi cable out and put
> in eSATA
> cables and be done with it? It has the PSU and ability to hold a
> bunch of
> drives...

I've got a couple of those.

For my purposes, it is too wide to sit on my PC, and the ventilation
of the 411/911 cases is pretty bad.

The main deal here is that the form factor that works is rarely found
with internal power, or a reasonable price.

If I wanted to just toss something ugly together, I'd have been done
with it long ago.

I might end up having to do that at least temporarily, but I'm going
to keep trying for a bit to pick up what I want.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com