[geeks] 6+months gig: Need a 'lab rat' at Dell EqualLogic, Nashua NH...

John Francini francini at mac.com
Wed Mar 18 07:48:18 CDT 2009

Hi,

I'm the Engineering lab manager for Dell EqualLogic -- we design and
write the (rather complex) software for EqualLogic storage arrays.
Check us out at http://www.equallogic.com.

I've got a problem -- a *good* one to have in these days of shrinking
budgets, jobs, etc: We're growing.  And we can't keep up with the
growth in the Engineering development lab without help.

I need someone to work with us, as a W-2 contractor for 6+ months, to
help us with computer lab stuff.

Background:  We're in the old Digital (DEC) ZKO facility in Nashua,
and presently have one lab that's getting nearly full, and will soon
be occupying 3/4 of another lab on another floor.

a) Setting up racks of equipment, which includes (in no particular
order):
	Bolting racks together
	Installing computer, networking, storage, and power gear in racks
	Running network and power cables, following a prescribed pattern
(which may vary by specific rack)

b) Keeping the 'raw materials' that go into racks sorted, organized,
and accessible
c) Helping out getting the lab more generally organized and cleaned
d) Helping out where needed with installing/removing disk drives into/
from drive sleds
e) Anything else that comes up

Skills that would be needed:

 Data center experience with rack-mount gear -- servers, switches,
storage arrays, KVMs, etc.
 Experience in working with bare disk drives
 Generally handy with tools

Skills that would be nice but not necessary:

 Installing and configuring Windows Server 2003 & 2008, Linux (Red
Hat mostly), and/or VMware ESX
 Experience doing command-line configuration of intelligent devices
such as terminal (serial port) servers, switched power
 Exposure to Cisco network switch configuration

Qualities we're looking for:
 Ability to 'think on your feet'
 Ability to juggle multiple projects--and 'right-now fires' with good
humor and equanimity
 Quick learning ability
 Ability to lift and move items up to ~100 lbs. (We have a powered
lifter for heavier items)

This is more of a near-entry-level type of job than a high-experience
kind of gig--there's a lot of physical work here, and the rate is
pretty much around $20/hour.

But if you or anyone you know who can fill the bill is interested in
some steady work, send me a note and resume. I'm looking to fill this
immediately.

Feel free to forward this to other lists where geeky-techie-types hang
out.

Thanks!

John Francini
Lab Manager