[geeks] ADMIN NOTE: Server upgrade soon

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Mar 17 16:46:36 CDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 03:01:53PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> I'm looking at external 1U eSATA enclosures now, but they're all too darn
> pricey ($300ish).  Don't want to trust my data to something that runs off
> a wall brick.

I may eventually do this (once I win the lottery or something):

- Buy a slot cover bracket with two SATA cables on the inside, two eSATA
  ports on the outside (the T1K has two SAS/SATA ports internally)
- Buy one of these:
  http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Raidon/ST76104SS2/
- Move the internal disk to one of the bays
- Buy another RE3 1T disk, put it in a second bay

In short, convert both the internal SAS/SATA ports to eSATA and have all
the disks in the external enclosure.

This way I can end up with mirrored disks via ZFS without having to change
anything or reinstall.  I'm wasting two disk bays, but I don't know if the
T1K would play nice with a port multiplier.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas