[geeks] ADMIN NOTE: Server upgrade soon

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 16:01:50 CDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2009, at 4:46 PM, Shannon Hendrix wrote:

>>> NewEgg has it for $109.
>>>
>>> Ended up ordering the RE3 "Raid Edition" enterprise version of the Caviar
>>> Black after all:
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136313
>>>
>>> Looks like I got the last one, as the page no longer lets you order it.
>>>
>>> I'm looking at external 1U eSATA enclosures now, but they're all too darn
>>> pricey ($300ish).  Don't want to trust my data to something that runs off
>>> a wall brick.
>>
>> I'm running into that issue myself right now.
>>
>> I really hate wall warts for power and don't want my drives powered that
>> way, but the only things I'm finding are really expensive.
>>
>> Years ago I had a 4-drive rack, tower format, barely bigger than the
>> drives and it had perfect straight airflow, and it had a power supply in
the
>> bottom that was small and efficient.
>>
>> You can't find anything like that now.  It's all powered by wall warts, or
>> they are far larger than the drives they hold.
>>
>> Hopefully have more time to look this week.  If I find something
>> interesting I'll pass it on here.
>
> Have you considered converting a SCSI unit?

I was looking at that as well.  I found a bundle with a 4x SATA
multi-lane board for a SCSI enclosure, plus the multi-lane cable for
$89.  I need to pop down to Weird Stuff to see if I can find a SCSI
enclosure.  The ones on eBay are ridiculously priced.  I can just
re-use my Antec Sonata case if I can make this workable.

=Nadine=