[geeks] One, two, three, panic!

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 12:25:12 CDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 09:58:40AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> Well, as it happens, A Little Bird Told Me(tm) to expect to find a
>> couple of LSI 3080X cards coming my way.  So shortly, I should be able
>> to have another go at Solaris 10 on the box.
>>
>> Should probably go download and burn the latest Solaris 10 x86 CDs...
>
> Definately use whatever is then the latest version of Solaris 10 when
> you get the cards.  I believe ZFS root only showed up in the latest
> release.

That is correct.

You can try google translate on this (it is in french):
http://www.sunquebec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1643

Part 2 I explain the swap / dump approach and part 3 the install, in
particular, at the screen:

Select the type of installation you want to perform:

         1 Solaris Interactive
         2 Custom JumpStart
         3 Solaris Interactive Text (Desktop session)
         4 Solaris Interactive Text (Console session)
         5 Apply driver updates
         6 Single user shell

select 3 or 4 or else you wont get the choice for a zfs rpool:

Select the filesystem to use for your Solaris installation

            [ ] UFS
            [X] ZFS

To mirror the rpool at install, select 2 disks and it will
automatically install in mirrored mode.

This week I'll pass the 115 days uptime on one solaris 10 u6 mirrored
rpool install (U6 hasn't been available that long, that's the reason
for "only" 115 days uptime, but at any rate it is completely rock
solid with ZFS.

Francois