[geeks] Solaris RAID: Time for storage

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sat Mar 14 11:21:17 CDT 2009

>> Like Signor Mouse said, those are capabilities built into SCSI.
> That the capabilities are there I have no doubt, but can anyone point
> to a "commodity" SCSI controller that takes advantage of that?

The controller doesn't need to.  In the example I gave, the host sends
the command to the drive and the drive then goes off and does the rest
on its own (bus topology, remember - drives can talk among themselves
without needing to go through the host).  The SCSI interface on the
host has nothing to do with it except for transporting the first
command from the host to the drive.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org