[geeks] Solaris RAID: Time for storage

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Fri Mar 13 14:31:47 CDT 2009

>> Of course, reliability is more important than speed, so it's
>> probably not a big deal.
> Nothing will be faster than the card slot you plug the controller
> into.

Well...unless you're doing disk-to-disk operations and the controller
is smart.  I remember reading over a vendor command-set document for a
SCSI drive once, and it included a command which would cause the drive
to act as initiator, read blocks from other drives on the same bus, XOR
the blocks together, and write them to its own platter - obviously
intended for RAID applications.  Since as I understand it SATA is a
point-to-point asymmetric technology (versus SCSI's symmetric bus), the
details would differ, but something very similar from the host's point
of view could be done.

					Mouse