[geeks] fastest AMD socket 939 and 940 processors

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Mar 13 13:23:38 CDT 2009

On Mar 12, 2009, at 22:13 , Joshua Boyd wrote:

> To be a bit pedantic, DDR2 is neither the Opterons nor the C2Ds
> memory system.

To be equally pedantic... my Opteron uses DDR, and the Core2 uses
DDR2, and the DDR2 is supposed to be faster.  That's what I was
talking about.

DDR2 has gotten a lot faster though over time, with some of it going
over 1GHz now.

> BTW, one of the changes to the Core i7 is to move the memory
> controller onto the chip.  They also switch from an old fashioned
> front side bus to Quickpath, but I don't know if Quickpath really is
> a benefit over a hypothetical FSB for a single socket system.  For
> multi-socket systems Quickpath should be a nice improvement.

Yeah, it's about time Intel caught up.  This is one change I was
really looking for from Intel.  Surprised it took them so long.

The bottom line is that almost everything now is faster, so the main
thing is maximizing the life of the new system.

>> Of course, that was 6 months ago, and I didn't really have time to
>> investigate very much, so I just punted and decided to wait.  I
>> might have chosen a bad system to demo on, I don't really know.
>> The specs looked good at the time.
>
> You don't say enough to comment on.  I've used Opterons that were
> slower than C2Ds and Opterons that were faster.

It was a quick check and I just decided that without time enough to
investigate, I would just wait since things would just be better and
cheaper over time.