[geeks] fastest AMD socket 939 and 940 processors

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Mar 12 18:53:15 CDT 2009

On Mar 12, 2009, at 19:09 , Lionel Peterson wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2009, at 6:20 PM, Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Now we have Phenom and I7 available, and I was thinking that since
>> I like to keep a machine configuration at least 3 years, maybe I
>> should push for one of those.
>
> The i7 is very nice, but balanced machines, with a lot of disk and
> DDR3 RAM can hit $1,000-1,200 pretty quick. One X58 MB has 2 SAS
> ports on-board (Asus?).

I was going to just upgrade the motherboard, RAM, and CPU in my
existing frankenmachine.  The DVD, hard drive, and other parts are
brand new or like-new status.

No point in throwing it all out.

> I went for a ore-built Dell system, it was $1K and included 6 Gig of
> RAM, 500 Gig HD, and an ATI 4750 graphics card... It's very nice ;^)

$1K is too much.

I was looking at a Phenom based system from Velocity Micro.  They
wanted $2500 for a system that looked decent.  About the same for an
Intel system.  Of course, this had high end components.

It seems pretty easy to beat them on price, by quite a margin, by
taking their component list and buying it yourself on newegg.

I would actually not mind paying for a pre-built system, but if it
goes much over a 10% markup, it starts to make me look foolish.

The computers in the local stores are all 1-2 years outdated.

I'd actually like to just buy one, at least a base to start with, to
save time and aggravation, but it is hard to justify.

It's funny, because for a server a lot of shops will sell something
that isn't much more than I would pay, and sometimes even less.

But for a machine that has more power for interactive use, it seems
the pricing swings the other way rapidly.

Of course, I'll have better ideas maybe this weekend when I sit down
to really build out a configuration.  If it looks too high, I'll just
wait a few more weeks or months.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com