[geeks] bah.

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Mar 12 17:28:54 CDT 2009

On Mar 12, 2009, at 15:04 , Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> NetBSD does.  It's a little roundabout, but I've used it and it works.

I would second this.  NetBSD is great.

FreeBSD has not been the same since 4.x, and I recently dumped *ALL*
of my FreeBSD 6 and 7 servers due to reliability issues.

FreeBSD's ATA code has some serious issues, and so does geom RAID stuff.

The ATA code seems especially bad when using flash based IDE devices.

The geom stuff... it has burned me a lot.  The geom raid software will
happily destroy all your data with no warning either from the programs
or the man pages, and they frequently locked up FreeBSD 6 and 7.  I
have not tried FreeBSD 7.1 yet so things may have improved in that
release.

Not saying don't use FreeBSD, but test extensively before you trust it
on a given machine for critical duty.

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com