[geeks] bah.

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Thu Mar 12 13:36:07 CDT 2009

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>> NetBSD's twe(4) doesn't support the 9000, but it's twa(4) does.  Check
>>> if it's the same with OpenBSD.
>> OpenBSD doesn't have a twa(4) driver.  Thank 3Ware's obstructivity for
>> that, according to Theo.
>>
>> I know the FreeBSD twa(4) driver supports it, but I haven't gotten to
>> the bottom of the FreeBSD stability or amd64-compatibility issues yet.
>
> Like I said, NetBSD has a twa(4) that supports it.  I guess that might
> be a next logical step.

I can try it, I suppose.  After I get the BIOS flashed and try the amd64
FreeBSD again.

Of course, I'm being reminded once again of how rats-ate-the-walls
spartan the *BSD userspace is...

>> I also found out during the OpenBSD and FreeBSD experiments so far that
>> FreeBSD seems pretty happy to boot from a software RAID1 mirror, but
>> OpenBSD seems is a little hinky about the idea; you can build a raid0
>> device holding the entire system easily enough, but the raid0 device
>> doesn't have a valid MBR to install the bootloader, and installboot
>> won't perform cross-device boot installs.
>
> NetBSD does all this without any problems, using raidframe.

OpenBSD uses raidframe too, but doesn't seem to have a way to handle the
bootloader for a boot mirror.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.