[geeks] fastest AMD socket 939 and 940 processors

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Mar 11 20:40:41 CDT 2009

Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> I opened the machine and I was wrong: it's also a 939.  I could have
> sworn it was socket 940.
>
> Good thing I looked first... :)
>
> Looks like the Opteron 185 is the best, but a 170 can run as fast with
> overclocking and they are the same CPU anyway.
>
> In other words: I have to upgrade the one with a 170 already in it, it
> is maxxed out now.
>
> The other one, I'll search for a cheap 170 to give it its last upgrade.

...Why?  Give it the 170 from the other.  ;)

> My own machine is also a socket 939 with an Opteron 170.  Surprisingly
> I still play games on it, even the new Empire Total War.  It was a
> really fast machine when I first made it.

babylon5 was really fast when first built, and remained so through
several successive upgrades.  It's still pretty decently fast, but not
"competitive" any more.  vorlon was for the most part "really fast" when
first built (Athlon64 3000+, PCI-E, SATA, 3GB RAM, nVidia 6600 card),
but the state of the art has moved a long way in four years.

> I have been thinking of building a new Wintendo, but there are so many
> choices now, all far faster than what I have, I've not really gotten a
> handle on it yet.

Heh.  First time I've heard that term ("Wintendo").  I like it.

In this household, Windows is essentially GameOS for all but a tiny
handful of legacy Windows applications.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.