[geeks] freebsd and package tools

Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Mar 11 15:37:02 CDT 2009

Does anyone know how FreeBSD package tools determine what URL to use
when fetching packages?

I have a development/production system at work that is a September
2007 -current release which tracked current for some time and was
customized.

For various reasons it won't be upgrade for some time, and package
fetches fail because it tries to find packages at:

	ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-7-current

Does anyone know where this URL is generated and what to change so
that it will fetch packages from packages-7.0-release instead?

Yes, I know I can set PACKAGESITE env var, but I need this to be
permanent to it can work with unattended systems we have in the field
based on this release.

You would think this would be documented somewhere.

Thanks for any help or pointers, as long as they are not suggestions
to upgrade... :)

--
Shannon Hendrix
shannon at widomaker.com