[geeks] FreeBSD, the saga continues

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Mar 10 18:55:18 CDT 2009

Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
> Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> And that may be what I have, as it'll boot into the installer from a
>> 7.1R-i386 CD, as long as it's booted without ACPI (that's what the real
>> booting problem appears to be, not HT, so I've re-enabled HT), but not
>> from 7.1R-amd64.
>
> If you're having ACPI issues, the 1st thing to check is to make sure
> you're running the latest bios.
> http://www.tyan.com/support_download_bios.aspx?model=S.S5350-1U

I'll maybe get brave and mess with the BIOS a little later.

Meanwhile, I've got the machine up and installed for i386, the 9500 is
working, all the disks are good, got the two 80GB boot drive mirrored
without too much trouble, got a 3.2TB zpool set up that I'm starting to
mess around with.

Is there any tool in FreeBSD that can be used to retrieve cpuinfo?  On
any of my Linux boxen I'd just cat /proc/cpuinfo, but if there's an
equivalent on FreeBSD to that or, say, prtconf/prtdiag, I've yet to find it.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.