[geeks] FreeBSD advice please?

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Mar 10 10:14:51 CDT 2009

Sevan / Venture37 wrote:
> Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> I found a BIOS option to disable hyperthreading, and did so since I
>> don't really care that much about it anyway.
>>
>> This morning, the 9500 is back to spewing errors (all I can catch is
>> something about tma0 and PCI and parity).
>
> So does that mean that disabling HT allowed you to get the system booted??

Yes, now that I unplugged the 3Ware again.

> What mobo are you using & are you running the latest bios??

Tyan Tiger i7320R.  Not sure about the BIOS rev, I haven't checked.
I've gotten nervous about BIOS updates lately after a nasty experience
that bricked one of my machines for a month after a BIOS upgrade failed
to boot the machine, and a subsequent attempt to downgrade back to the
prior version failed non-recoverably halfway through.

> no, it just performs poorly on x86. The Xeons should be fine as long as
> they support em64t.

I probably won't be able to determine that for certain until I can get
the machine booted far enough to look at /proc/cpuinfo or the BSD
equivalent.  Installer is up now, but I need to go look at a bug on a
client's site before I have time to mess with it more.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.