[geeks] In which 3Ware can bite me

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Mar 10 03:14:50 CDT 2009

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 14:45:24 -0400
Phil Stracchino <alaric at metrocast.net> wrote:

> And forgot to ask ... can anyone here with first-hand experience offer
> useful advice on what OSen have:
> (a) out-of-the-box 9500 RAID support, since I'm clearly not getting
> any from 3Ware;
NetBSD twa(4) supports the 3ware 9000 series. AFAIK it is a port of the
FreeBSD driver.

> (b) software RAID1 support for mirrored boot;
NetBSD: raid(4)

> (c) a decently functional, decently configurable, decently fast, and
> generally not-brain-damaged nfsd?
Well. NetBSD, being a BSD Unix...

I am running NetBSD 5.0 Beta at the moment. I even use WAPBL, the new
FFS/UFS file system journaling support. Though it is still marked as
experimental, but works well for me.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen