[geeks] FreeBSD advice please?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Mar 9 20:58:36 CDT 2009

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> I had a nasty suspicion that might be the case.  I'm going to be really
> furious at 3Ware if it turns out to have gone bad while sitting there
> unused for nine months while 3Ware sat there with their thumbs up their
> asses scheduling meetings to discuss debating when they were going to
> get around to bothering to tell me they'd EOL'd the card.

I can't brag about 3ware's customer service or support folks one bit,
either.

>>          machdep.hyperthreading_allowed=1
>
> But I need to at the very least actually get the install disk booted
> before I can do that, right...?

You'd want to do that on an installed system, not the miniroot.

> The installer kernel should be SMP ready straight out of the box though,
> and should Just Work.  Right?

Yes, starting with FreeBSD 7, the installer kernel and GENERIC are both
SMP.  Even if it weren't, a uniprocessor kernel will usually work well
enough to install the OS.

--
Jonathan Patschke ( "They don't have the right to read a book out loud."
Elgin, TX         (                  --Paul Aiken